09 July 2010

Has the Future been Foretold?

Has the outcome of this week's World Cup championship game been foretold in lyric for almost 500 years? Here is a stanza from the Dutch national anthem:
Nothing so moves my pity
As seeing through these lands,
Field, village, town and city
Pillaged by roving hands.
O that the Spaniards rape thee,
My Netherlands so sweet,
The thought of that does grip me
Causing my heart to bleed.
I am sticking with my pre-tournament pick of the Netherlands, but most of the smart money appears to be on Spain. I expect that the team that scores first will win, and I do think that the Dutch have a good chance to open up the Spanish defense in a way that Germany could not. If it goes to penalties, take the team that wins the coin toss and shoots/scores first. It could be a classic game. I'll go with 3-2 Holland, rather than 1-0 Spain!

Hup Holland!!